Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Eyes Are Melting!

This evening was interesting... got home, was almost finished making bibimbap with HeeLa, just sat down to eat, and suddenly had some kind of weirdness going on with my vision.

Suddenly, it was as though I had looked at something bright, and then had that spot you see afterward... except it was overcast and almost ready to rain outside. After about 5 minutes, it wasn't going away, and was actually growing in size and beginning to encircle my direct field of vision.... started to worry a little, at that point. After a few more minutes, a sizeable portion of my vision was quite distorted.

We didn't even finish eating, HeeLa drove me to the immediate care center (forgot her license, too)... knowing how an E.R. visit would bankrupt us (the American health-care system, if you want to call it that, is another soapbox topic, altogether).

Halfway to the clinic, I'm suddenly fine.
We continue, anyway. Upon arriving, the receptionist was totally bitchy about us showing up 2 minutes prior to their patient cut-off time (again, a soapbox topic). I start to fill out the form, just to be safe, but once we learned it might take an hour to be seen, I decided not to worry about it. On the way home, a mild headache was in full progress. At that point, I'm kinda thinking it's stress-related, perhaps combined with my recent dietary changes.

More research uncovered a quite common phenomenon called "scintillating scotoma" and it's associated with something called an "ocular migraine." ~~ Might have something to do with my absolute failure with my diet yesterday, and the resulting MSG/Gluten binge at the Chinese buffet!

Of course, poor HeeLa was absolutely freaked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment